James Harold Thompson is a shareholder in the firm and practices primarily in the area of government relations. He serves as general counsel to Talquin Electric Cooperative, Inc. Other representative clients are CSX Transportation, Florida Financial Services, Tampa Electric Corporation and the Florida Optometric Association.
Prior to joining Ausley McMullen, he practiced law in Quincy, Florida from 1970-1991. Mr. Thompson was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 1974 and served as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Chairman of the Natural Resources Committee, Chairman of the Rules and Calendar Committee and was Speaker of the House of Representatives from 1985-1986. His legislative honors include winning the prestigious Allen Morris Award for the Most Effective Member in Debate five consecutive times. He was elected Most Effective Member in 1983. Mr. Thompson was appointed by Governor Lawton Chiles to serve as a member of the Constitution Revision Commission in 1998. In addition, he has served as Chairman of the Environmental Land Study Commission of Florida.
Admitted to Practice
- State of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Speaker of the House of Representatives, State of Florida, 1985-1986
- House of Representatives, State of Florida, 1974-1986
- Chairman, House of Representatives, State of Florida, Judiciary Committee, 1979-1980
- Judge, Small Claims Court, Gadsden County, 1970-1972
Professional & Community Involvement
- Florida Constitution Revision Commission, 1998
- J.D., with honors, Florida State University, 1969
- B.A., Florida State University, 1966
- The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience.