Stephen C. Emmanuel
Former chair of the Administrative Law Section of The Florida Bar, Stephen Emmanuel represents clients in all types of administrative proceedings and disputes before a variety of Florida state agencies. Additionally, he represents clients in constitutional law matters and government procurement.
Stephen Emmanuel is a shareholder at Ausley McMullen and practices in the areas of administrative and civil litigation. He is experienced in all areas of Florida administrative law, including bid protests, declaratory statements, rule-making and rule challenges, certificate of need, and formal administrative proceedings before the Division of Administrative Hearings. He is also experienced in civil litigation and cases involving state and federal constitutional issues.
With more than thirty years’ experience, Stephen represents clients in all types of administrative disputes including before the Agency for Health Care Administration, Department of Health, Department of Transportation, and other state agencies in bid protests, permitting and licensing disputes, rule challenges, declaratory statement actions, certificate of need cases, and all other types of formal administrative proceedings before the Florida Division of Administrative Hearings. Additionally, he currently serves as Chair of the Administrative Law Section of The Florida Bar.
Stephen also represents clients in a wide variety of constitutional law matters, including cases involving constitutionality of state statutes and proposed constitutional initiatives before the Florida Supreme Court.
In the area of government procurements, Stephen advises clients in bid acquisition, bid awards, and associated disputes.
- All state courts in Florida
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida
- B.A. in Government, with honors, University of Notre Dame, 1979
- J.D., with honors, University of Florida College of Law, 1983
- Administrative Law and Government Affairs
- Appellate Practice
- Government Contracts and Bid Protests
- Health Care
- The Florida Bar (Member, Administrative Law and Health Law Sections)
- Florida Bar Administrative Law Section Executive Council (Chair, 2021-2022; Member, 2012-Present)
- Florida Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism (2006-2011)
- Florida Bar Appellate Rules Committee (2005-2011)
- Tallahassee Bar Association
- Florida Government Bar Association
- Florida Legal Services, Inc. (Director, 1997-2002; President, 2001-2002)
- Florida Bar Foundation (Director, 2001-2002)
- Florida Catholic Conference, General Counsel
- Leadership Florida Class XXII (2003-2004)
- Leadership Tallahassee (1985-1986)
- Leon High School Foundation (2007-2010)
- Catholic Charities of the Big Bend, Inc. (Director, 1985-1998; President, 1997-1998)
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Big Bend, Inc. (Director, 1985-1993; Vice-Chairman, 1992-1993)
Awards & Recognition
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, 2000-2022
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Florida Super Lawyer, 2017-2022
- Best Lawyers in America (Administrative/Regulatory Law), 2017-2023
- Presenter, Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division, Introduction to Administrative Law, March 8, 2021
- “The Administrative Process and Constitutional Principles,” Florida Administrative Practice Manual (10th, 11th, 12th and 13th Editions, The Florida Bar, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021)
- “Administrative Appeals,” Florida Appellate Practice Manual (9th, 10th,11th and 12th Editions, The Florida Bar, 2014, 2017, 2020, 2022)
- “Attorneys’ Fees and Cost Awards,” Florida Administrative Practice Manual (8th Edition, The Florida Bar, 2009)