With his expansive auditor, school board, and election campaign experience, Jeff Wahlen represents clients in the areas of utility, education, government and administrative law.
Jeff Wahlen is a shareholder and member of the Management Committee of Ausley McMullen. Jeff focuses his practice on representation of the firm's electric utility, gas utility, telecommunications, education, and trade association clients.
Jeff has represented local exchange companies, and electric and gas utilities before the Florida Public Service Commission for over 30 years and served as the Leon County School Board Attorney from 2002 to 2017. Additionally, Jeff advises clients on compliance with government affairs (gift, lobbying and campaign financing) laws.
Prior to his admission to the Bar, Jeff worked in the audit division of a large international public accounting firm in Tampa, where he worked on audits of public utility, telecommunications, banking and shipbuilding clients.
- Petition for Rate Increase by Tampa Electric Company (FPSC Docket No. 20210034-EI);
- Petition for approval of 2020 depreciation and dismantle study and capital recovery schedules by Tampa Electric Company (FPSC Docket No. 20200264-EI);
- Petition for approval of direct current microgrid pilot by Tampa Electric Company (FPSC Docket No. 20200234-EI);
- Petition to approve 2020 Settlement Agreement by Tampa Electric Company (FPSC Docket No. 20200145-EI);
- Petition for a limited proceedings to approve First, Second, Third and Fourth SoBRAs (FPSC Docket Nos. 20170260-EI, 20180133-EI, 20190136-EI and 20200064-EI).
Florida State University, J.D., with high honors, 1990
- Member, Florida State University Law Review, 1989-1990
- Member of the Florida State Law Review
- Member and Treasurer of Moot Court
- Order of Barrister; Order of Coif
- Champion and Best Brief, 1990 Robert Orseck Memorial (Florida Bar) Moot Court Competition
- 1990 Richard W. Nahstoll Book Award for Professional Responsibility.
- Florida State University, Masters in Accounting, 1986
The Florida State University, B.S., cum laude, 1985, Accounting
- Florida State Gold Key
- State of Florida
- All State of Florida Courts
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Member of the American Bar Association, the Florida Bar, the Federal Communications Bar Association.
- Leadership Florida Chair, 2016-2017, Class XXI; General Counsel, 2006-2015
- Chairman, Florida Board of Bar Examiners, 2009-2010
- Chairman, Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce, 2003-04
- Leadership Tallahassee Class XII and Chairman of Board of Governors, 1998-99
- Chairman, Tallahassee Quarterback Club Foundation, Inc., (sponsor of college football Biletnikoff Award), 2002-03
- Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare Foundation Board of Trustees, 2001-2015; Chairman, 2009-2011.
- Political Campaigns: Jeff served as campaign treasurer for Florida State Representative Loranne Ausley (District 9) for all four of her elections (2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006), Tallahassee City Commissioner Mark Mustian (Seat One) for all three of his elections (2002, 2004 and 2008) and Florida State Representative Alan Williams (District 8) for all four of his elections (2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014). In addition, Jeff served as campaign treasurer for Citizens to Preserve Tallahassee, Inc., a political committee formed in 2000 to advocate extension of Leon County’s optional penny sales tax for local roads and stormwater projects (Blueprint 2000).
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Chambers USA - Energy and Natural Resources Band 1
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite; 2007, 2009 and 2015
- Super Lawyers; 2012 – 2017
- Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Administrative/Regulatory Law 2018 to present
- 2007 and 2014 Leadership Florida President’s Award for outstanding service to Leadership Florida
- 2009 Servant Leadership Award presented by Leadership Tallahassee
- 2001 Community Leadership Association’s Distinguished Leadership Award for Tallahassee
- Co-author, “Florida Enacts Legislation to Simplify Taxation of Communications Services,” Interstate Tax Insights Vol. 3, No. 8 (2001).
- Co-author, Chapter 11 (Florida) Lobbying, PACs and Campaign Finance 50 State Handbook (West Group, 2005 to 2015 Editions; Thompson Reuters, 2016 to present editions).
- Jeff is a member of the Florida Bar and is licensed (inactive) in Florida as a Certified Public Accountant, but has not practiced public accounting since 1988.