A bankruptcy and creditors rights attorney, Jim Donohue emphasizes his practice on insolvency and reorganization matters involving both public and private clients.
James Donohue (Jim) is a shareholder with the firm where he represents creditors primarily in the area of bankruptcy and creditor rights, with an emphasis on cases involving insolvency and reorganization.
Jim has experience with Chapter 7, 11, 12 and 13 bankruptcy cases, as well as with assignments for the benefit of creditors and insurance company receiverships. He has been appointed as an Examiner in a Chapter 11 case and as Special Counsel for Chapter 7 Trustees and been retained to represented Creditor Committees.
Jim represents a variety of clients including financial institutions, corporations, individuals, state agencies and municipalities.
Prior to joining the firm, Jim was a Staff Attorney for the Presidential Clemency Board in Washington DC, as well as a Special Assistant Commissioner of Insurance for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico where he directed the liquidation of Puerto Rico’s largest domestic insurance company.
- Representation of the State of Florida, Agency for Health Care Administration, In Re: Senior Care Group, Inc., Jointly Administered; Case No.: 8:17-bk-06562-CPM; filed in the Middle District of Florida U. S. Bankruptcy Court (favorable outcome and financial settlement).
- Representation of the State of Florida, Agency for Health Care Administration, In Re: Institute of Cardiovascular Excellence, PLLC, et al; Adv. Proc. No.: 3:17-ap-00200-JAF; filed in the Middle District of Florida U. S. Bankruptcy Court (successful defeat of adversary complaint).
- Representation of the State of Florida, Dept. of the Lottery, In Re: Town Star Holdings, LLC; Case No.: 2:19-bk-00667-FMD; filed in the Middle District of Florida U. S. Bankruptcy Court (full recovery for client in an otherwise unsuccessful reorganization).
- Representation of Capital City Bank in Higdon Furniture Company, Case No. 13-40753-KKS (and related cases); filed in the Northern District of Florida U.S. Bankruptcy Court (protected interests of secured creditor client in the initial successful reorganization of the Debtor, as well as in the subsequent liquidation of its assets.)
- Florida State University, J.D., 1974
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 1972
- English Speaking Union Scholarship, (1967 – 1968)
- (full scholarship to study in England for a year)
- All State Courts in Florida (1975)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida (1975)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida (2005)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida (2019)
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals (Fifth Circuit initially; 1979)
- The American Bankruptcy Institute
- The American Bar Association
- The Northern District of Florida Bankruptcy Bar Association (Founding Member & Former Officer)
- The Tallahassee Bar Association
- Florida State University College of Law, Adjunct Professor, Bankruptcy (2019)
- GED Tutor for Leon County Schools, Adult and Community Education (8 years)
- Youth Soccer Coach for the City of Tallahassee (5 years)
- Exchange Club
- Cotillion Club
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated (Since 1990)
- Best Lawyers in America (2021, 2022 and 2023 Editions) - Bankruptcy and Reorganization