Formerly a law clerk at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, Deputy Florida Solicitor General and General Counsel to the Governor, Rick Figlio primarily represents public agencies with regulatory, litigation and appellate matters.
Rick Figlio is a shareholder with the firm who concentrates his practice on the representation of public agencies with regulatory, litigation, and appellate matters in state and federal courts in Florida and before State of Florida agencies, including matters involving government contracts, other regulatory matters, and claims that Florida agencies have violated the U.S. Constitution or otherwise violated federal law.
Rick is focused on solving problems with efficient, cost-effective strategies and representation – both with respect to avoiding litigation, and litigation itself when it cannot be avoided.
Following law school, Rick served as law clerk to the Honorable Joel F. Dubina at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Prior to joining Ausley McMullen, he was Deputy Florida Solicitor General, General Counsel to Governor Charlie Crist, and Interim General Counsel and Special Counsel to Governor Rick Scott.
- Reached favorable settlement on behalf of public entity in complex breach of contract action.
- Successfully settled with favorable terms federal class action against Florida agency.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of public entity in declaratory judgment action, and successfully defended judgment on appeal.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of errant trial court construction of a 100-mile long easement on behalf of a public entity.
- Successfully defended multi-million-dollar government procurement award.
University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2002
- Order of the Coif
- University of Georgia School of Law, Executive Articles Editor, Georgia Law Review, 2001-2002, 2002
- Davidson College, A.B., 1993, History
- State of Florida
- United States Supreme Court
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Member, Second Judicial Circuit Nominating Commission
- The First District Appellate American Inn of Court, Emeritus Member
- Florida Bar Federal Practice Committee, Member
- Tallahassee Bar Association, Member
- Leon County Humane Society, Member and former Board Member
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite; 2015 - 2017, 2019 - 2021
- Best Lawyers in America - Appellate Practice and Government Relations Practice (2023 - Present)
- Northern District of Florida Litigation Checklists, Practical Law, 2015